Requirements for the WEC Honors Program
All WEC students are eligible for the CALS Honor Scholar Certificate and the UF Honors Program
Admission Requirements for the CALS Honor Scholar Certificate:
- A student in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
- Earned at least 60 credits toward graduation
- Overall UF upper-division GPA 3.75 or greater
CALS Honor Scholar Certificate Graduation Requirements
Hours: 9 credits with minimum grades of C
Students earning the CALS honors scholar certificate must complete at least nine credit hours of honors coursework and an undergraduate honors thesis. The coursework, thesis topic and thesis adviser are unique to each student and are subject to approval by the CALS honors program director.
- Maintain an upper division GPA (last 60 hours) of at least 3.75.
- ALS 3923 Honors Orientation (1 credit).
- WIS 4915 Honors Project (or similar independent study/research course to be completed as the student is working on their thesis research) (3-4 credits). In each department, there is a course designated for this purpose; register for this during the semester that you are performing or writing your honors project.
- Additional Honors courses; see the Courses page for more information. Honors course work is identified as such on your transcript. These additional credits of honors coursework (4-6 credits) are taken as:
- Existing 3000/4000-level honors courses, approved by the honors program director
- Existing 3000/4000-level CALS courses taken as honors contract courses, approved by the honors program director
- CALS graduate-level courses, approved by the honors program director
- Complete an Honors Thesis, approved by the research mentor, department honors coordinator and honors program director. Turn in Honors Thesis to WEC Honors Coordinator (Dr. Jacobson) via the WEC student service office at least 10 days before CALS deadline
Graduating with Honors from UF:
You do not have to participate in the CALS Honors Program to graduate from the University of Florida with Honors.
Graduating with Honors from UF requires only the following:
- Cum laude (with honors) - a 3.5 minimum upper-division GPA
- Magna cum laude (with high honors) - a 3.75 minimum upper-division GPA PLUS 3 credits from honors research PLUS an Honors Thesis
- Summa cum laude (with highest honors) - a 3.85 minimum upper-division GPA PLUS 3 credits from honors research PLUS an Honors Thesis
However, students that complete the CALS Honors Program will graduate from UF magna cum laude or summa cum laude automatically, since the CALS Honors Program requirements exceed the UF and CALS requirements.
See the UF Honors website for more details on graduating with honors and honors theses at the University of Florida.
CHECKLIST FOR CALS HONORS PROGRAM
To graduate as a CALS Honors Scholar, you must 1) maintain a minimum 3.75 upperdivision GPA, and 2) complete five honors experiences listed below. See the CALS Honors Program website for details:
- ALS 3923 - Honors Orientation (1 credit)
- WIS 4915 - Honors Thesis Research (3 credits)
- Two Upper-division honors courses, CALS Honors contract courses or graduate-level courses (You need to have a total of 4-6 credits of courses with an honors section component):
- Honors thesis
See the CALS HONORS WEBSITE for the following forms and resources
- Application to Join CALS Honors Program
- Departmental Honors Coordinators - Find/contact the Honors Coordinator for your major
- Honors Program Checklist - Use this form to track your Honors Program coursework and progress toward completing the program
- Honors Contract Form - Use this form to develop an Honors Contract for an existing CALS course
- Honors Contract Information - guidelines on how to compose an honors contract
- Honors Mentor List - faculty in CALS departments willing to mentor students in thesis research
- UF Undergraduate Research Database - A UF-wide, searchable database of UF faculty mentors
- Honors Thesis Proposal Guidelines - Follow this format in developing your proposal
- ALS 4915 Undergraduate Honors Project Contract - Students doing a thesis must sign up for ALS 4915
- Honors Thesis Guide - Read this as you begin to formulate your Honors Thesis Project
- CALS Honors Thesis Submission Form - Use this for final submission of your Honors Thesis to the CALS Dean's Office. The form must be TYPED. The university will not accept hand-written copies.
- UF Honors Program website: Theses - for specifics on submitting your thesis to UF.
- Submit the final version of your thesis after your advisor, honors coordinator and the CALS Dean's office has signed off on your thesis. You must upload the final revision of your thesis to the Honors Program by May 4 for spring semester graduates, August 10 for summer graduates and December 21 for fall semester graduates.
- University Scholars Program - Apply to this program to receive funding for your Honors Thesis project
- WebGURU - A web site that guides students and faculty on undergraduate research projects
- Honors Scholarships - Apply to one or more of these prestigious programs
- Undergraduate Program Overview
- Undergraduate Course Listing
- The Majors
- The Minor
- Combined Degree Program
- Degree Program Changes
- Honors Programs
- FAQ's about UF Minors
- Advising/Faculty Office Hours
- Study Abroad Courses
- Explore WEC Careers
- Internship Opportunities
- Student Organizations
- Academic Learning Compact
- Computer Policy & Guidelines
- Meet WEC Alumni