Wildlife Happenings - December
Wildlife happenings to look for in December:
- Annual Christmas bird count begins mid-December.
National Audubon Society Christmas Bird Count
The Christmas Bird Count -- A Long Tradition
- Snail kites gather in large south Florida roosts, and nesting activity begins.
- This is the best time for watching waterfowl on wetlands, lakes, and prairies.
- Great horned owls and barred owls courting. Listen for them.
- Look for Goldfinches at north Florida feeders.
- Yellow-rumped warblers will show-up at feeders if it is cold enough.
- In north Florida, bald eagles start hatching about Christmas day.
- Right whales appear off east coast north of Sebastian Inlet
- Oscars abundant in Everglades Water Conservation Area canals, taking worms, crickets, and beetle spins.