Department Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
The Department of Wildlife Ecology and Conservation at the University of Florida is committed to providing an equitable and inclusive environment to support a diverse group of students, faculty, and staff.
Department Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access Committee
The WEC IDEA Committee is responsible for helping the department create an intellectually nourishing and supportive environment that allows our entire community to have their voices heard and feel welcome and secure. The committee strives to:
- Actively promote inclusion, diversity, equity, and access within the Department.
- Continuously evaluate and assess the Departmental work environment related to our teaching, research, and extension mission.
- Actively seek and promote mechanisms that meet the mission of the committee.
- Provide resources to the Department on matters regarding inclusion, diversity, equity, and access.
Actions WEC Is Taking
Monitoring our Work and Learning Environments
The department is conducting regular climate surveys followed by moderated focus groups to assess the inclusiveness of both work and learning environments and identify areas for improvement.
Implementing Equitable Hiring Practices
The IDEA Committee is developing a Equitable Hiring Checklist to be used in all faculty searches in conjunction with IFAS level training in equitable hiring practices.
Training Students and Employees
We actively encourage our faculty and students to receive training in creating equitable and inclusive environments. In the Resources section of this webpage we provide a curated list of resources for reading and obtaining in these areas. The department also hosts semi-regularly Allies 101 seminars and sponsors semi-regular Ally Skills workshops.
This is a curated list of resources for members of the WEC community interested in learning about and improving their approaches to equity and inclusion. For many topics there is both a “getting started” option for those first exploring this topic and a “deep dive” option for those interested in committing the time and energy to obtain greater expertise.
Creating Inclusive Academic Environments
Creating Inclusive Learning Environments
Creating Inclusive Environments for Field Work and Field Experiences
Equitable Hiring & Promotion
- Watch Allies 101. A short introduction to the concepts of privilege and oppression, and actions that can be taken to promote inclusion and equity (presented by WEC PhD student Ellen Bledsoe and Biology PhD student Kelsey Lewis).
- Read Recreating Wakanda by promoting Black excellence in ecology and evolution
- Take Online Courses from the Gators Together Program. This is a series of more than 10 online courses including subjects like inclusive leadership and inclusive communication. You can also complete a formal certificate as part of this program https://learn-and-grow.hr.ufl.edu/courses-registration/gators-together/
- Attend an Ally Skills Workshop. These workshops are run periodically in the department and on campus more broadly. They provide 3-hours of training in actionable ally skills. After a short introduction, most of the workshop is spent in small groups, discussing real-world scenarios, and ways to respond to them. https://alligatorallyskills.weebly.com/
- Read and implement recommendations from the Columbia University “Guide for Inclusive Teaching”. A brief introduction to evidence-based inclusive teaching principles.
- Read and implement recommendations from the Accessible Syllabus website. Practical advice for making your syllabus more accessible, welcoming, and inclusive.
- Complete the CITT “Teaching for Inclusivity & Accessibility” Certificate. This certificate program includes online courses in Designing an Inclusive Course, Fostering Inclusive Communities for Learning, and Accessible Online Environments.
- Read Promoting inclusion in ecological field experiences: Examining and overcoming barriers to a professional rite of passage led by Dr. Nia Morales (WEC faculty)
- Read the University of Michigan STRIDE program’s Top 10 Best Practices. https://advance.umich.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/STRIDE-Ten-Best-Practices072119.pdf
- Read “Strategies to improve equity in faculty hiring”. A review of proven strategies to increase equity in faculty hiring and promotion. https://doi.org/10.1091/mbc.E19-08-0476
- Read the University of Michigan STRIDE program’s Handbook for Faculty Searches and Hiring https://advance.umich.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Handbook-for-Faculty-Searches-and-Hiring.pdf
- Take IFAS training in equitable faculty hiring (coming soon)
- Read Food for Thought: Opportunities to Improve Diversity, Inclusion, Representation, and Participation in Epidemiology